Simply stated, would you rather learn PhotoShop techniques using a written manual or a talking manual?
What is process we go through when reading a manual to access technology?
- First, the material must be read with attention to detail
- Second, the material must be interpreted within the personal perspective of the reader's mind
- Thirdly, the information needs to be tested to help validate the reader has followed the instructions correctly
Talking manuals cut out these steps and rapid understanding is the experience. The premise of creating talking manuals in an efficient way, is to make short segments. If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is the worth of moving pictures with audio?
What is the process in creating a written manual?
- Although technical manuals are necessary, they are generally tedious to create as they rely solely on the written word with occasional addition of illustrations to convey information
- When an update is available, the written manuals has to be updated then proofed several times which includes adding, uploading new screen shots
- Written manuals often are difficult to understand if the author's is not using his/her native language